Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Annoyed in the Library

As I sit piecing together my day (trust me its been a long one considering I didn't want to move out of bed today!), I remembered an exchange between 2 classmates of mine today when we were having a discussion about the veiling of women in Islamic culture. The first one said something about Jewish women veiling (which I am not sure happens in all sects) and why didn't more people know about that. The second one made a remark about how strong the Jewish lobby was in the U.S. and the first replied to him "Don't even get me started about that one." Now I don't know whether the last remark was made because the first classmate has negative or positive feelings toward the Jewish lobby in the U.S. What struck me was the fact that everyone, or at least everyone who understands the potential for an argument when speaking about this topic, was suddenly very uncomfortable. I find it very sad that people cannot have a decent debate about the relations between the Jews and the Muslims in our world. On Monday, another classmate/friend of mine and I were having that exact same conversation. I am just really pissed off with people not being able to look at this debate objectively and having too much of a personal stake in this debate. Seriously people need to grow up and face the fact that other people have different opinions too and that those opinions are valid and could actually be more factual than yours!!

I promise when I post next I will try to avoid run on sentences!

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Uncomfortable conversations are never productive...

But I do know this: Orthodox women do not veil--they were long sleeves/long skirts, and after marriage, many will cover hair with a hat or even wig. Although there are similarities, this is certainly different from draping fabric over the face.