Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Interesting piece in the LA Times

I came across this article on Sunday when I was skimming through the front page of the LA Times. I took an online class for economics and honestly that was the easiest class I had ever taken. I understand that this is a good option for children like Ben Hathaway who have to help out on the farm when his father goes to Iraq but I am not sure that people actually learn what they are reading and studying. Closed book tests are challenging because they force you to recall the knowledge rather than look it up in a book.

Another reason they give for the increase of online high school students is that children want to escape being teased and pressured to conform to the "in-crowd". I was teased as a child and I understand the pain that is causes but removing children from that situation is not the answer. Children who don't face any difficulties in life don't learn any pleasant or painful life lessons. When they start working they will not know how to face angry customers or deal with a difficult boss. A better solution would be to examine the root of the teasing and harrassment. Teenagers are so insecure and full of hormones that mess up their jugdments and this is where school administrators and teachers need to step in and be adults. They should take charge of the situation and solve the problems of bullying and pressure in creative and effective ways. After all, they are the adults and the students are the children.

1 comment:

Ren said...

First of all... "last year Michigan became the first in the nation to require students to take an online course to graduate from high school"... weeeird.

I surely didnt enjoy the box of HS, but I dont think online classes are the answer, they're like using vouchers to fix public schools. Some classes might be ok to take online, but some you really need to sit in public and discuss what is going on if we're going to encourage intelligence and not simply knowledge.

The fact that some kids are taking AP classes online has its own set of issues... AP no longer connects to classes, its perfectly easy and 'acceptable' to just study for the tests and suck up the college credit. I'm not sure how I feel about that.