Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Talk about surreal

On my recent excursions back east visiting graduate schools, my mother and I happened to run into Carol Lam, the former U.S. Attorney from San Diego. She happened to go to a special conference at my mother’s high school and my alma mater, OLP, and my mother met her there. My mother went up to her in the airport and spoke to her for a few minutes while I tried not to pass out in the waiting area (that time change will get you every time). It was quite interesting to discover that I had a connection to someone who was in the news.

I feel really sorry for Carol Lam and the seven other U.S. Attorneys who got fired because their firings happened in December but only now are they becoming national news. The time and indignation delays confused me at first but in light of other national scandals (i.e. Watergate), the facts came to light rather quickly. It turns out that after Ms. Lam brought down Duke Cunningham, a former Representative from Rancho Santa Fe (in San Diego County), she turned her attentions on two of his associates, Foggo and Wilkes. As the CIA executive director, Foggo allegedly gave special consideration to Wilkes image scanning and consulting firm. To me, this appears to be a normal case of cronyism between two old friends. I don’t mean to sound cynical but what is the big deal here? If these allegations are true, then they will be another example of corruption in the government.

Allegedly, Carol Lam was fired because she didn’t prosecute enough border crimes. The article states this to be a falsehood and that she was praised for her work in prosecuting cases relating to border crimes. I am quite excited to see how these Congressional hearings play out because if the article is right, the real reason for Carol Lam’s firing is still a mystery. Hopefully, the hearings will get to the bottom of this bizarre case and some heads will roll…

1 comment:

Erin K. said...

It'd be really neat to hear more of what she had to say (if she is speaking publicly) about the firing. This is turning out to be quite a poor public relations stint for the Bush Administration. That's saying a lot considering their public relations record in the past.