Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Another NPR story that got me excited

Geraldo Rivera is my new hero!! He has recently written a book about illegal immigration in the U.S. called
His Panic: Why Americans Fear Hispanics in the U.S. It actually sounds really good from the NPR story and I really think Geraldo has made the transition back to real journalism and left his slummy talk show days behind.


You would think that when I moved to DC, the place where all U.S. policies for everything are made, that this would be an issue people talked a lot about. Boy was I disappointed! I think if I worked on the Hill I would hear a lot about it but since I don't, I don't feel that many people on the street hold this as their hot button issue. It is such a change from CA.

One other thing Geraldo said that almost made me stand up and clap: he mentioned that people in the U.S. who are really outspoken against this issue tend to forget that they are the children and grandchildren of immigrants and they should be more sympathetic to illegal immigrants. Although I am not sure I completely support illegally coming to the U.S., I agree that people tend to forget their familial history and don't realize that they should be sympathetic to new immigrants. As someone who is proud to be a third generation U.S. citizen on one side of my family, I always remember how difficult it was for my own family to make it in this country and I always try to hear both sides of the immigration story because all my ancestors were immigrants at one time.

that is my two cents for the day...have a good one!!

No comments: