Sunday, March 02, 2008

I'm back!!!

Hey Everyone,

I am finally back from a grad school imposed silence....non-stop reading, writing, and working isn't conducive to writing anything extra for fun. I will continue to maintain my focus on U.S. domestic politics and international politics as I like nothing else!!

Today on NPR I heard the most appaling thing about the U.S. elections I have heard in a while. A woman from Houston was interviewed about who she wanted to vote for and was quite hesitant about talking about her fears for Obama. The first reason she was frightened for him made sense to me. She feared that silent racists in the U.S. wouldn't vote for a black man (even thought he is half white....). This makes complete sense to me as this is one of the last major race taboos that the U.S. needs to get over.

The second one made me sit up in bed and talk to the radio....again! She said that she was afraid that he would be assassinated because he is black. Wow I had never heard someone actually express such a sentiment. First of all, has she NEVER seen a Secret Service officer??? Those people are hard core scary and always make sweeps of places. I can understand this woman's fear of assassination if the Secret Service fail but they haven't failed since Reagan was shot by John Hinkley in the early 1980s. The Secret Service officers are extremely professional and vow to protect the president regardless of race or gender.

That's my two cents on conspiracy theories for the day. Have a good one!

No comments: